Churches

There are many remarkable, both architecturally as well as historically, important churches in the Sea Lapland area. Take your time to visit the churches, sit on a bench for a minute or two, and find your favorite church!

Alatornio Church
The Alatornio Church, of neoclassical style, dates back to 1797. There probably stood a wooden church in its place already in 1208; however, and most definitely, according to researched data, from the beginning of the 1300’s. From the remnants of the medieval church built in 1400 – 1500 there remains the eastern cross arm opposite the main entrance in the current church. The church functioned as part of the Struve Geodetic Arc in the 1700’s, and is protected as the Unesco World Heritage Site. 
Kirkonmäentie 85, Tornio.
Tel. +358 (0)40 556 8676
www.tornio.seurakunta.net

Haparanda Church 
The current Church of Haparanda was built in1963 to replace the church that burned down a couple of years earlier.  The outside of the church was constructed in copper, and, with time, the golden-hewed reddish color of copper has turned almost black, due to the effect of the seasonably changing climate. The interior of the church, excluding the altarpiece, is white.
Köpmansgatan, Haparanda.
Tel. +46 (0)922 292 90
www.svenskakyrkan.se/haparanda

Church of Karl Gustav
The Church of Karl Gustav was the only church in Karunki during the reign of Sweden in Finland.
Tel. +46 (0)922 292 90
www.svenskakyrkan.se/haparanda

Church of Karunki
The wooden church, built in the form of a cross in 1815-1817, was designed by A.W. Arppe. The altarpiece, “Jesus on the cross,” was painted by J. Hedman in 1827.
Kirkkotie, Tornio.
Tel. +358 (0)40 556 8676
www.tornio.seurakunta.net

Kemi Church
The Kemi Church, of neoclassical style, designed by architect Josef Stenbäck, was completed in 1902. It is a brick stone long church with two aisles. In the beginning of 2000 the church was repainted in its original color of light brick red.
Kirkkopuistokatu 11, Kemi
Tel.+358 (0)16 226 1100
www.keminseurakunta.fi

The Finnish Seamen’s Mission in Kemi
The Finnish Seamen’s Mission in Kemi functions as the center for the Finnish Seamen’s Mission Ltd, established 1875.
Port of Ajos, Kemi
The port area is closed, please call to arrange your visit.
Open during weekdays, 6pm – 10pm.
Tel. +358 (0)400 227 250 /Hilkka Ollitervo
www.merimieskirkko.fi

Kemi Orthodox Church
The Kemi Orthodox Church was named in honor of John the Baptist. Orthodox religion reached Kemi in the 1920’s while the refugees from the Eastern Karelia arrived to the area during the war. Open by reservation only.
Lehtokatu 31, Kemi
Tel. +358 (0)16 - 261 089
The Orthodox Tšasouna in Tervola
The tšasouna of Saint Trifo from Petsamo, a landmark heritage named after a monk from Petsamo.
Tsasounatie 34,Varejoki, Tervola
www.tervola.fi/matkailu

Paattionlehto Chapel
The Paattionlehto Chapel, designed by architect Osmo Sipari, was built in1960. The Paattionlehto graveyard, with its park-like appearance, represents a new style in the architectural design of graveyards of the time.
Tornionkatu 81, Kemi
Tel. +358 (0)16 226 1100
www.keminseurakunta.fi

Peurasaari Chapel
The Peurasaari Chapel, designed by master builder Matti Pitkänen, was built in 1937. The chapel represents the typical architectural design of classicism and functionalism combined, prevalent in the 1930’s church designs.
Ouluntie 3, Kemi
Tel. +358 (0)16 226 1100
www.keminseurakunta.fi

St Michael’s Church in Keminmaa
The Church of St Michael dates back to 1521. Inside the church you can see the mummified body of a vicar of the church from the early times; vicar Nikolaus Rungius died in 1629 with a specific message before his death.
Open during the summer only.
Rantatie 63, Keminmaa
Tel. +358 (0)400 226 845
www.keminmaa.seurakunta.net
The Newer Tervola Church: The Tervola Big Church
The Tervola Big Church, designed by architect Ludvig Lindquist, was built in 1861 - 1864. The church is protected as a National Landmark Heritage Site.
Kirkkokuja 4, Tervola
Tel. +358 (0)50 4370 000
www.tervolanseurakunta.fi

Tervola Parish Church
The Tervola parish building, designed by architect Risto Jämsä, was built in 1974. The parish hall, baptized as a church, functions as the main church in Tervola, excluding the summertime. The altarpiece is construed of local marble found in Loue in Tervola.
Kirkkokuja 4, Tervola
Tel. +358 (0)50 4370 000
www.tervolanseurakunta.fi

The Old Church in Tervola
The Old Church in Tervola, built in 1687-1689, is one of the oldest and best preserved buttress style wooden churches in all of Finland.
Kirkkokuja 4, Tervola
Tel.+358 (0)50 4370 000
www.tervolanseurakunta.fi

Church of Tornio
The Church of Tornio is dedicated to the Queen Hedvig Eleonora from Sweden. The bell tower on the west side was built in 1686 - 1687, and it is the oldest Ostrobothnian style bell tower in existence.
Seminaarinkatu, Tornio.
Tel. +358 (0)40 556 8676
www.tornio.seurakunta.net

Tornio Orthodox Church
In the beginning of the 1820’s, Czar Alexander I made the decision to found, and construct a military church for Russian soldiers living in the city during the period. The church is dedicated to the apostles Peter and Paul.
Lukiokatu, Tornio.
Tel. +358 (0)50 590 0562 /matkailutoimisto

Keminmaa Neoclassical Church, The New Church in Keminmaa
The New Church in Keminmaa, designed by architect Johan Carl Ludvig  Engel, is the fifth church in the Keminmaa parish. The church opened its doors for parishioners in 1827.
Kirkkotie 1, Keminmaa
Tel: +358 (0)400 226 845
www.keminmaa.seurakunta.net

The Church of Simo
The Church of Simo, designed by Ernst Bernhard Lohrmann, was built in 1846. The bell tower of the church is of simple wooden architectural design, in the style of Ostrobohnian renaissance, and the roof surface is baroque. The roof is construed of shingle.
Simonniemi, Simo
Tel. +358 (0)40 351 1990
www.simo.seurakunta.net

Veitsiluoto Church in Kemi
The Veitsiluoto Church and parish, designed by architect Veikko Larkas, was construed and built of concrete in 1957. The church represents a simplified church-building style of the period, and is open only on Sundays during Sunday-sermon.
Hepola,  Kemi
Tel.+358 (0)16 251 073
www.keminseurakunta.fi

English